NSW Court of Appeal Justice Mark Leeming headlining law conference
8th Mar 2018
Justice of the NSW Court of Appeal, The Hon Justice Mark Leeming, is the keynote speaker at the upcoming Australian Lawyers Alliance (ALA) annual NSW State Conference being held in Manly next week.
Justice Leeming, who sits on the highest court in NSW, also has experience serving in the Federal Court of Australia and is a lecturer at the Sydney University Law School. His keynote address will examine some of the issues facing legal practitioners in today’s political and legal climate.
The one-day ALA NSW State Conference 2018 is being held at the Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific near Manly Beach on Friday 16 March 2018 from 8:30am.
ALA NSW President Andrew Stone SC said the ALA NSW State Conference 2018 was one of the biggest plaintiff lawyers’ conferences in Australia and would be an outstanding networking opportunity for over 180 personal injury, human rights and criminal law lawyers and other legal professionals who have registered to attend.
Mr Stone said that this year’s conference had a packed program, demonstrating the ALA’s commitment to the professional development of its more than 1,300 members.
“This year the Australian Lawyers Alliance’s NSW Conference will focus on examining legislative developments, case studies and practical tips for new and experienced practitioners to successfully seek justice for their clients,” Mr Stone said.
“This year’s conference is particularly relevant for today’s plaintiff lawyer, including updates on such contemporary topics as the CTP scheme, the future of transport accident law, and recent decisions in workers’ compensation.”
“Having Justice of the New South Wales Court of Appeal The Hon Justice Mark Leeming as keynote speaker demonstrates the quality of this year’s conference and the issues to be discussed,” Mr Stone said.
“Justice Leeming is a well-regarded and highly respected member of the judiciary, and we look forward to benefitting from the wisdom he will be sharing at the conference. His perspectives on the issues facing today’s legal fraternity will provide invaluable insights for those who attend,” Mr Stone said.
Conference highlights include:
- Keynote Address: The Hon Justice Mark Leeming, NSW Court of Appeal
- Navigating the New CTP Scheme: Regulations, guidelines and costs implications; Andrew Stone SC, Sir James Martin Chambers; Mike Dudman, Blackstone Legal Costing
- What Is a Minor Injury under the new Motor Accidents Injuries Act 2017?; Orthopaedic Specialist Dr Drew Dixon
- Litigating International Aviation Accident Claims: Chris Barry QC explains the effect of international treaties on claims of this type and how they proceed by reference to the MH17 class action.
- Driverless Cars and the Future of Transport Accident Law; Katie Minogue, Maurice Blackburn
- PLUS sessions on workers’ compensation, TPD & life insurance and the Annual Case Update.
The conference attracts up to 6 CLE/CPD points and is attended by plaintiff and defendant lawyers as well as representatives of the various regulators and insurers.
The Australian Lawyers Alliance is a national, non-profit association that promotes justice, freedom and the rights of the individual.
Journalists and other media are encouraged to register and attend the conference.