Bret Walker SC to speak at annual Queensland law conference
8th Feb 2016
Special Counsel Bret Walker SC, the Federal-Government-appointed independent national security legislation monitor, will be the keynote speaker at the 18th Australian Lawyers Alliance (ALA) annual Queensland State Conference.
The conference is being held at the Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa, Gold Coast, on Friday 12- Saturday 13 February from 8.30am and will examine legal issues ranging from the National Disability Insurance Scheme through to disability insurance claims and a review of the WorkCover Act.
ALA Qld President Rod Hodgson said that all media were welcome to attend the Queensland State Conference, which would be an outstanding networking and educational opportunity with hundreds of local lawyers and other legal professionals already registered to attend.
Mr Hodgson said the conference boasted an exceptional program, which provided an excellent opportunity for professional development for any Queensland-based legal practitioner.
“This year the Australian Lawyers Alliance’s Queensland State Conference has a particular focus on the fundamental issues which will give personal injury lawyers across Queensland the edge in their practice,” Mr Hodgson said.
“Having a keynote speaker as auspicious as Bret Walker SC is a great testament to the quality of the speakers who will be presenting during the conference.”
“With the conference being held in a Federal election year, issues such as the future of the National Disability Insurance Scheme in Queensland will certainly be up for discussion,” Mr Hodgson said.
Mr Walker's speech will be titled "Stereotypes & Specialists", relating to the ethical and commercial challenges for lawyers whose work is concentrated on specific kinds of clients and work, as well as the heavy pressure and encouragement to specialise in the practice of law that have not been wholly beneficial influences over the last few decades.
Other conference highlights will include:
- “But I Would Have Gone To Work in The Mines” - A Review of Economic Loss Awards” John Kimmins, Inns of Court
- Handling Disability Insurance Claims - Traps & Tips for Lawyers: Kevin Holyoak, Callinan Chambers
- WorkCover – Where Are We Now?: Michelle James, Principal, Maurice Blackburn
- “He Would Have Been There in 7 Years Anyway” - A Legal and Medical Discourse of Spinal Degeneration: Richard Douglas QC, Callinan Chambers and Stephen Hoey, Occupational Therapist, Therapy Solutions
- Professional Skills: Law Student and Lawyer Well-Being in Australia: An Ethical Imperative for The Legal Academy and The Legal Profession: Rachael Field, Associate Professor, QUT Faculty of Law
The conference attracts up to 10 CLE/CPD points and is attended by plaintiff and defendant lawyers as well as representatives of the various regulators and insurers.
The Australian Lawyers Alliance is a national, non-profit association that promotes justice, freedom and the rights of the individual.
The full conference program can be found here: http://www.lawyersalliance.com.au/documents/item/500
Please note: For media wanting to attend Bret Walker SC’s Keynote address, the speech is scheduled to be held at 9am on Saturday 13 February.