15th Apr 2021
Increasing use of spy phone apps and their implications on privacy and the law.
8th Apr 2021
The dangers of unconscious bias and racism in the healthcare system and how lawyers can help.
Work with us
Thank you for your interest in working with us. Please see below for all available positions at the ALA.
We are seeking an enthusiastic editor to fill a 14–16 month part-time role that has opened up in our publications team. The role will involve supporting the work of the Publications Manager for the first four months then taking over the Manager role until the end of the contract. The role will suit an experienced editor or a legal professional who is interested in all aspects of legal publishing.
The Australian Lawyers Alliance (ALA) is a national membership association of legal professionals working to promote access to justice and the rights of the individual. Our members specialise in areas ranging from personal injury, workers’ compensation, medical negligence, motor vehicle accidents, insurance and catastrophic injury to the rights of refugees and asylum seekers, counter-terrorism laws, financial services and royal commissions. We publish a weekly e-newsletter, Australian Lawyers Alliance News (ALAn) for members, a blog called Opinion and a bi-monthly magazine, Precedent. Precedent is one of the ALA’s flagship membership offerings and a key tool for attracting and retaining members.
The successful candidate will:
Manage the production of Precedent, including researching and commissioning authors, copyediting their contributions (applying the ALA’s style guide), proofreading journal proofs, liaising with authors and working with designers and printers;
- Service and chair monthly Precedent editorial committee meetings;
- Conduct legal research relevant to submitted copy as required;
- Act as a guardian of the ALA house style, copyediting and proofreading copy for media releases, official correspondence and parliamentary submissions, and marketing materials (largely for events and seminars) generated by other internal staff as required;
- Upload content to the ALA website and to external online legal information databases; and
- Work closely with the Publications Officer, who will provide general editorial and administrative support as required.
- Editing expertise (legal editing experience preferred);
- Excellent written English and an eye for detail;
- Ability to multi-task and juggle competing priorities;
- Ability to take the initiative;
- Ability to manage a small team;
- Creative approach to legal journalism;
- Excellent organisational skills; and
- Flexible, co-operative and friendly attitude.
We value work/life balance and professional excellence. This is a great opportunity to put your skills to use in an interesting and stimulating role. If you are keen to work for an organisation that advocates for the rights of the individual, and are enthusiastic about helping to shape a high-quality and well-respected legal journal, we encourage you to apply. This will be a part-time position (30.4 hours a week).
Please email a CV and cover letter to email@example.com.