Former High Court Justice Ian Callinan AC to speak at QLD law conferen
7th Feb 2018
Former Justice of the High Court of Australia, the Hon Justice Ian Callinan AC, will be the keynote speaker at the upcoming Australian Lawyers Alliance (ALA) annual QLD State Conference being held on the Gold Coast later this month.
Justice Callinan will be on hand to pass on some of the wisdom he accumulated during his lengthy and storied legal career as barrister and as a judge of the High Court of Australia. He will also examine some of the issues facing legal practitioners in today’s political and legal climate.
The winner of the ALA’s prestigious Queensland Civil Justice Award will also be announced during the conference, which is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year as an event. This award recognises individuals or organisations who have displayed outstanding advocacy in their support for human rights and social justice in Queensland.
With issues such as third-party workplace assaults, trends in medical law, public liability, medical negligence, and workers compensation on the agenda, members of the Queensland legal profession are strongly encouraged to attend this conference to stay abreast of the latest developments in these fields.
The two-day ALA QLD State Conference is being held at the Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort on the Gold Coast from Friday 16 February 2018 from 8:30am.
ALA Queensland President Michelle James said the ALA QLD State Conference 2018 was the biggest plaintiff lawyers’ conference in Australia and would be an outstanding networking opportunity for the more than 300 personal injury, human rights and criminal law lawyers and other legal professionals who have already registered to attend.
Ms James said that this year’s conference had a packed program, demonstrating the commitment that the ALA has to the professional development of its more than 1,300 members.
“This year the Australian Lawyers Alliance’s Queensland Conference will focus on examining legislative developments, case studies and practical tips for new and experienced practitioners to successfully seek justice for their clients,” Ms James said.
“This year’s conference is particularly relevant for today’s plaintiff lawyer, including updates on such contemporary topics as Prolapse Mesh class actions, how prescription opioids are causing death and disability and recent decisions in worker’s compensation.”
“Having former Justice of the High Court of Australia the Hon Justice Ian Callinan AC as keynote speaker demonstrates the quality of this year’s conference and the issues to be discussed,” Ms James said.
“Justice Callinan is fondly remembered by ALA members for his first presentation at our Queensland conference nearly 20 years ago, and we look forward to the wisdom he has accumulated in the years since. His perspectives on the issues facing today’s legal fraternity will provide invaluable insights for anyone who attends,” Ms James said.
Other conference highlights will include:
- Establishing Causation: Psychiatric Injury Case Review; Richard Douglas QC, Callinan Chambers
- Liability for Third Party Assaults in the Workplace; John Kimmins, Inns of Court
- The Other Side of the Road: MAIC’s Perspective; Neil Singleton, Insurance Commission, Queensland Treasury
- Out and About - Public Liability Case Review; Travis Schultz, Lawyer and Consultant
- Developing Legislation in QLD: What You Should Know; Charles Wilson, Inns of Court
- Update on Prolapse Mesh Class Actions Jan Saddler, National Special Counsel – Class Actions, Shine Lawyers
- Workers’ Compensation Recent Decisions; Peter Gibson, General Manager - Queensland, Shine Lawyers
- Wrongful Birth: The Consequences of Medical Error; Alex Katsikalis, Clashfern Chambers
- Recent Trends in Medical Law; Geoff Diehm QC, Jeddart Chambers
- How to Ensure Your TPD Claim Will Succeed - A Review of Recent Cases and Common Issues; Christiane Etienne, Partner, Win Win Super Claims
- First Do No Harm: How Prescription Opioids Are Causing Death and Disability; Marc Walden, Pain Physician and Anaesthetist Dr Kym Boon, Psychiatrist and Pain Physician Greenslopes
The conference attracts up to 10 CLE/CPD points and is attended by plaintiff and defendant lawyers as well as representatives of the various regulators and insurers.
The Australian Lawyers Alliance is a national, non-profit association that promotes justice, freedom and the rights of the individual.
The full conference program can be found here: http://www.lawyersalliance.com.au/documents/item/1049
Journalists and other media are encouraged to register and attend the conference.